HISTORY:Description 4

He was led to the rock with his hands and feet bound, and taken into the cavern temple. There, prayers were read over him designed to deliver him from the evil spirit, and after the apposition of the Dormiton icon, the sick man came to his senses. He started talking sensibly, saying that thanks to merciful God he was delivered from the evil spirit who had tortured him. He returned home with an untroubled mind and vowed to worship the icon of the Dormition ever after. Such signs of God’s miraculous power reinforced the veneration by Crimea’s orthodox inhabitants of the rock of the Dormition, still very much in evidence today, especially on 15th august, feast day of the Dormition, when pilgrims gather from all over Crimea. Few travellers to Crimea do not visit the rock and its old cavern temple. Through the centuries the sacred rock has received among its visitors, the Russian tsars and almost all the members of the High Court. Mention should be made of a moving deed by the late emperor Alexandre Blagoslovenni. Visiting the cavern temple in 1818, he asked the Archpriest Spirandi who had invited him: “where is the place of the holy icon’s apparition?” The starets took him out of the temple onto the balcony and pointed to Theotokos’ face on the wall. The royal pilgrim ordered a chair and a candle, climbed up to the icon and kissed it with special veneration, then placing the burning candle in front of it with his own hand.

• The same monastery is known as “Mariem-Anai”, that is “Little Mother Mary”.

• By the author of this article: Panaguia, translated from Greek, means Very Holy or All Holy – name given to the Mother of God in prayers (Bedside book of the priest – Publishing House of the Patriarchate of Moscow).

• Generally, the Greeks give the name Panaguia to the Theotokos, which means All Holy (A New Table of the Law or exegesis of the Church, of liturgy and of all the services and ecclesiastical instruments belonging to the archbishop of Nijni Novgorod and d’Arzamas Veniamin. SPB.1889.p. 472).

• The Book of the Big Plan. Moscow . 1846.

• Notes of the Odessa Society of History and Antiquities.1850. V.2.p. 611.

• By the author of this article: in 1475 the army of the Turkish sultan Mohammed II seized hold of the Gène colonies and the Feodoro principality, situated in southern and respectively, eastern Crimea . Not all the Christians suffered from Turkish domination. Part of them remained on the territory of the Crimean Khanate, a client to the Ottoman Empire . (Andreï Jazykov. The History of the Scythes. See also TheHistory of the Scythes by Llzov, 2nd part, Book 4, p. 4)

• In the Moscow records of foreign affairs, there is a document related to the affairs of the Crimean Embassy where we may read the following: “on 27th May 1596, according to the Ukase of the Grand Prince of all the Russians, Fiodor Ivanovitch, in memory of Boliarine, the Prince Ivan Vasilievitch Sitskii, arrived from the Crimean Monastery of the All Pure Mother of God in Salatchik, at the sovereign’s residence, Tsar and Grand Prince of all the Russians, the Greek Pasqualii, attended by messengers from Crimea to ask for alms, but, before his arrival, there had been sent to this monastery of the All Pure in Salatchik, according to the Sovereign’s charter, a donation of 15 roubles. At present, the boyars ordered the sending of the Greek Pasqualii with 15 roubles for the monastery. Before the conquest of Crimea by the Russians, the Crimean Orthodox Church had depended upon the Patriarchate of Constantinople in whose records we may find details on the subject.

• The miraculous icon bears the name of the Bakhchisaraï Icon of the Theotokos, but it is also known as Panaguia, icon of the Theotokos of Crimea or of Marioupol.

• By the author of this article: the distorted name of the Biyuk-Lambat village. The 1st issue of 1880 mentions another colony Koutchouk-Lambat. Both were situated on the southern coast of Crimea , between the Ayou-Dag and the Castel mountains. .


back 4 next

Get code >>
The Crimean Lavra ©2007-2018